How many identities do you have?
1. MOTHER: First and foremost, I am a mother to my beautiful son’s Nelson and Leo
2. WIFE: I am a wife to my incredible husband of 15 years, Peter
3. CAREER: I am a career woman and have a full time career in real estate
4. CHARITY: I have my philanthropic side volunteering my time by assisting various charities both consulting and on committees to help raise much needed funds for these organisations
5. COMMUNITY I am the Deputy Chair for the committee for the Foundation for the WA Museum called Artefact Circle
6. PASSION: I am the Telstra Perth Fashion Festival Coterie Group Founder and am actively involved in the festival each year
7. SOCIAL: I have a very busy social life but that is because I have the opportunity to and want to support as many local businesses and local initiatives and ideas as possible. I strongly believe in supporting charity and supporting local.
You’re well known in Perth within the Social and Fashion Circles, but what is there about Emma Milner that we don’t know?
I am very passionate about giving back. I organised my first charity event when I was 17 years old for SIDS and have never stopped. Even throughout my two pregnancies and the birth of my first son, I volunteered full time at the Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation and grew a group of women called the Women of the West where we put together events that raised funds for the hospital.
And I don’t stop working! I work really long hours and always have. So even though I’m seen out socialising and enjoying events, it’s always been a huge challenge even getting there in the first place juggling everything I have to do in my day. But I’m not complaining! I love how many opportunities I have and I embrace it all with a smile on my face. Watching the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills is my favourite thing to do to unwind!
However, most importantly and the main priority in my life is my family. I live each day with the most positive attitude I can and I live every day wondering what I can do that day to make life better for my family and others around me.
What is the biggest life lesson you have learnt so far?
3 major lessons for me;
1. Be a good, honest person and be good to people around you. It really is that simple.
2. You will never grow, nor become a better person if you don’t push yourself out of your comfort zone. I do this to myself regularly.
3. And live in the moment. Given our increasingly demanding lives, I think this is really important and I do this as much as I can.
What do you believe your secret is to balancing all your passions and pursuits?
I have never been able to find the secret to balance. Balance is impossible for me! For anyone who has worked it out … CALL ME!
What is next for Emma Milner?
I feel that I am now entering the most challenging period of my life. My career is extremely challenging and my boys need me more now during their high school years. I place very high expectations on myself and will not stop until I’ve achieved them. Sometimes I think I am my own worst enemy for putting constant challenges in front of myself however if you don’t aim to be the best you possibly can be in life then what’s the point?
What advice would you give to other women out there who want to pursue their passions but are too afraid?
You only have one life. There is no way I am ever going to look back and wonder what it would have been like. I go out and try it all, do it all and sometimes fail and sometimes succeed. Failure is essential in life and to be honest I accept failure as much as I do success, as learning from failures just keeps making me a better person.