How many identities do you have?
1. A passionate animal lover – Having been brought up on a farm in the country, I find animals give me so much fun, laughter and relaxation
I feel I am in a different world when I am surrounded by them. Having had a recent loss of a 19 year old rescue dog, I immediately search for another rescue to replace my loss. That’s how I cope with my grief. I will never let this stop me from rescuing another in need.
2. Business owner for almost 36 years
3. Passionate about helping people, giving them back the skin they love to live in. Seeing their confidence return with such joy.
What started your journey to become the “Skin Guru of Perth?
Journey from the country to Perth. I started out working in a pharmacy. Although I loved it I found it difficult to clear certain skin conditions. I so wanted to help these people. I couldn’t keep selling products for skins and not seeing results. I was also very passionate about watching the Pharmacist formulate products. I was lucky to always work closely with Doctors and Pharmacists which is what I still do. I have two Doctors working with me in my clinic. I also am working closely with a Dermatologist and a Scientist in formulating my products KB Skin Results.
What do you feel is the biggest misconception about “modern day skincare”?
1. Clients believing it’s too late once you have aged skin.
2. That clinics like mine are only for women – these days it’s as important for men to look fresh and viable especially with us all working longer. Can reduce skin redness.
3. That acne treatments don’t work and you just have to suffer with it.
4. That pigmentation can’t be improved.
All these things can be improved.
What has been the biggest life lesson you have both learnt so far?
Don’t let the ‘negative nellies’ stop you following your dream. There will always be people happy to criticise you or what you are doing – use this as a determination to get better.
What do you believe is your secret to success in balancing your passions and pursuits?
This is my passion so it’s what I do and think about all the time.
What’s next for Karen Bowen?
Launching the 2nd generation of my specialised dermal product line Internationally.
What advice to you give to women out there who want to start a business but don’t know where to start?
· Hold onto that passion, that dream. Don’t let anyone steal it away from you.
· If you hold onto a thought long enough it will become a reality. Just like I did.
· I didn’t know how I was going to do it; I just knew I was going to do it.
Talk to the business enterprise centres. This link below can help. https://becaustralia.org.au/
These sources weren’t around in my day. I just had sheer determination which got me to where I am today.